Sep 24, 2008

Design classics: Arco lamp

After a long day of work, there’s nothing that I enjoy more than curling up on the sofa with a nice book and, in wintertime, a warm fleece blanket. And, in order to spare my eyes a bit, I needed a nice reading lamp.

The moment to treat myself to an, I have to admit, imitation Arco Lamp. Only one problem, even though the ceilings in our loft are about 4m high, the only place we have a low ceiling (because of the mezzanine) is off course, you guessed it, above the couch. So sadly no Arco lamp for me…


Côté Maison


Domino

But enough about my problems, let’s get back to the Arco lamp. It was designed in 1962 by two brothers, Achille Castiglioni and Pier Giacomo Castiglioni. The Castiglioni Brothers, as their design firm was called (not much thought into that one), were renowned for their elegant minimalist designs.


Free Spirit Interiors


LivingEtc.

Fun fact about the Arco. The hole in the marmer base has a very practical reason. This way the lamp can be moved by « two people inserting a broomstick through the hole ».


Rob Fiocca

And in case you we’re wondering, this is the lamp I ended up with in the living room.

No comments: